Another reason to hate windows

Periodically our printing gets shutdown (disabled) by windows based print jobs. When this happens here is how you fix it. 

1. Go to printers on the linux server
2. select the printer giving trouble
3. click on "policies"
4. Make sure the three states are check-marked.

Typically the enabled check mark will be missing most likely due to some ancient flaky code in windows or the printer vendor's equally flaky driver code that disables the printer after the print job commences since windows ancient legacy history is non-multi user and there are still tons of that crap waiting to bite the unsuspecting user of that gosh awful mess.


Note the above screen shot is from a Lubuntu 16.04 server I use for all my printing, you mileage may vary of course. Also note that I use Mobility Print to provide all my home printing as it is much better than trying to figure out where Microsoft is going to hide the print spooler next and bonus support for mobile/MAC devices too! I initially thought I had found a bug in this Google Cloud Print replacement product but no it was the same old familiar windows flaw striking again after a few months without any hiccups.

Comments

  1. This is no longer a problem at my house because we no longer have any computers here that use any versions of microsoft products. All our computers run current Debian linux. Including an orphaned Apple computer that was no longer getting updates from Apple. If you are tired of money grubbing software and hardware companies open source is the only way to fly. (2026). Unfortunately all mobile devices still have a version of planned obsolescence built into them at birth.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments welcome!

Popular

About Me...

My dad called me Timbocephus from time to time when I was growing up. He was a Hank Williams fan at some point I believe.

    Of course everyone recognizes the "Timbo" nickname. But going deeper into mid 20th century popular culture we find that Hank famously stuck the "Bocephus" moniker on his young son Hank Jr. There are several suggested sources for the "Bocephus" name and you can find those on line very readily if you google it.

    Having said that, I like this one best: The mysterious appellation that became part of American folklore in middle of the 20th century: Biblical/Latin Etymology: Some trace it back to a neoclassical blend of Beau (French for beautiful) and Cephas (the Aramaic name given to the Apostle Peter, meaning "stone"). [1]  (https://gardenandgun.com/ask-gg-garden-thievery-and-the-birth-of-bocephus)

Check out my very first blog entry about Psalms 46:1