This was bound to happen...

And then just like that ... took an update and blam... End of support notification from my "friends" at google.  I guess that means it is time to reflash my rom and install a real linux system on this still perfectly usable piece of hardware even though google apparently thinks I should just throw it in a landfill somewhere.

Here is a closeup of what corporate greed looks like...

Yes, don't mind if I do upgrade... to real linux that is.

PS: The deed is done! Thanks to this very helpful website and a short afternoon of work reflashing a new ROM and installing lubuntu 16.04 LTS...

https://mrchromebox.tech/#home

I even went UEFI boot and that was relatively painless too!

I will probably look into donating to mrchromebox when I get a bit more time.

The cure:
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/How+to+turn+HP+Pavilion++Chromebook+into+linux+laptop/104961


Comments

Popular

About Me...

My dad called me Timbocephus from time to time when I was growing up. He was a Hank Williams fan at some point I believe.

    Of course everyone recognizes the "Timbo" nickname. But going deeper into mid 20th century popular culture we find that Hank famously stuck the "Bocephus" moniker on his young son Hank Jr. There are several suggested sources for the "Bocephus" name and you can find those on line very readily if you google it.

    Having said that, I like this one best: The mysterious appellation that became part of American folklore in middle of the 20th century: Biblical/Latin Etymology: Some trace it back to a neoclassical blend of Beau (French for beautiful) and Cephas (the Aramaic name given to the Apostle Peter, meaning "stone"). [1]  (https://gardenandgun.com/ask-gg-garden-thievery-and-the-birth-of-bocephus)

Check out my very first blog entry about Psalms 46:1