Configure Auto-updating NoIp.com Linux Host


  1. Fully setup a noip.com free account. You must perform all the steps for your hostname to be fully visible.
  2. Grab the script from here: noipupdater.sh
  3. The sample config file there is also a must have. Note the double quotes around the values (these are a must)!
  4. Ignore the readme.... change the four values in the sample config file only. Especially note that the loginname used for the updating is the email address used to setup the account not the actual account name you used.
  5. Follow instructions at above URL for creating one of the example crontab entries to keep your noip account in good standing.
  6. Updating once a day is adequate for my ISP and my limited needs.
      That is all!

Follow up: I never could get the above script to work as advertised (on auto-pilot & no manual intervention ever needed). So I abandoned this stuff and when I get the email every 30 days I manually update the free account. This means checking "whatismyip" against what the free noip account has and updating manually if needed. Since I learned stuff here I still consider this a success.

    Comments

    Popular

    About Me...

    My dad called me Timbocephus from time to time when I was growing up. He was a Hank Williams fan at some point I believe.

        Of course everyone recognizes the "Timbo" nickname. But going deeper into mid 20th century popular culture we find that Hank famously stuck the "Bocephus" moniker on his young son Hank Jr. There are several suggested sources for the "Bocephus" name and you can find those on line very readily if you google it.

        Having said that, I like this one best: The mysterious appellation that became part of American folklore in middle of the 20th century: Biblical/Latin Etymology: Some trace it back to a neoclassical blend of Beau (French for beautiful) and Cephas (the Aramaic name given to the Apostle Peter, meaning "stone"). [1]  (https://gardenandgun.com/ask-gg-garden-thievery-and-the-birth-of-bocephus)

    Check out my very first blog entry about Psalms 46:1