Some follow up clean up to my new hybrid SSD boot drive lubuntu install.

Had to do some more disaster recovery mode tweaks to my new lubuntu 16.04 LTS server install today. This is due to my shortsighted install of the software and boot image into a small 16GB SSD I had as surplus from my chromebook upgrade a while back. I created a /home on a 70GB partition that I carved out of the 140GB hdd that came with the system. The 4 available partitions were all consumed by silly and one entirely useless w32 partitions. I shrunk the main w32 down to 70 and removed one entirely after transferring its content to the third partition. This allowed me to carve out a new ext4 for my new linux home partition. Now on to my problem...

Today I discovered that the /var/log context on my install/boot  filesystem had exploded and filled up my entire root partition... duh! So, I googled for a while and finally settled on booting single user and then mounting the /home manually so I could move all the log content to a path like this:

"/home/tim/varLogBudDontRemove/log"

Then I created a bind mount content like this:

"mount --bind /home/tim/varLogBudDontRemove/log /var/log"

/home/tim/varLogBudDontRemove/log       /var/log        none    bind
Now after some more googling I found how to make this mount happen at boot time in the fstab file:

"/home/tim/varLogBudDontRemove/log /var/log none bind"

Now if I can just solve my network (wireless adapter) disconnects the system should be getting close to stable long term hopefully. The network seems more stable already since resolving the "/" filesystem full problem. I have a new supposedly more powerful USB wireless dongle on the way from Panda Wireless (via Amazon) $30 with 2-day express shipping!

7/23/2016 - Update the Panda 300Mbps Wireless N USB Adapter with High Gain Antenna is not only a great bargain but has great responsive tech support too and the performance of the device is excellent.



/home/tim/varLogBudDontRemove/log

Comments

Popular

About Me...

My dad called me Timbocephus from time to time when I was growing up. He was a Hank Williams fan at some point I believe.

    Of course everyone recognizes the "Timbo" nickname. But going deeper into mid 20th century popular culture we find that Hank famously stuck the "Bocephus" moniker on his young son Hank Jr. There are several suggested sources for the "Bocephus" name and you can find those on line very readily if you google it.

    Having said that, I like this one best: The mysterious appellation that became part of American folklore in middle of the 20th century: Biblical/Latin Etymology: Some trace it back to a neoclassical blend of Beau (French for beautiful) and Cephas (the Aramaic name given to the Apostle Peter, meaning "stone"). [1]  (https://gardenandgun.com/ask-gg-garden-thievery-and-the-birth-of-bocephus)

Check out my very first blog entry about Psalms 46:1