Featured Post

My favorite links (ranked)

#1  Linux laptop powertuning painlessly (almost) #2 hard-drive-recovery #3 Chromebook Specifications #4 Internet BMW riders   #5 Findagra...

Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Restarting crashed cairo-dock processes with gksu script

 From time to time it becomes necessary to restart cairo-dock process on my lxde desktop (lubuntu 16.04). Here is how I created a shell script driven desktop shortcut to accomplish that. 

$ cat restartDock.sh 

#/bin/sh

killall cairo-dock 2> /tmp/tim1
killall cairo-dock-launcher-API-daemon 2> /tmp/tim2

gksu -u tim -S "bash -c 'cairo-dock -c 2>&1 | tee  /tmp/cairodoc.log '" &


12/19/2020 The other day I discovered this is inadequate and does not work in some circumstances. I did not document it when it occurred so it will have to wait until the next occurrence in order to put up a revision to address the deficiency. Sorry.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome!