Featured Post

Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Restarting crashed cairo-dock processes with gksu script

 From time to time it becomes necessary to restart cairo-dock process on my lxde desktop (lubuntu 16.04). Here is how I created a shell script driven desktop shortcut to accomplish that. 

$ cat restartDock.sh 

#/bin/sh

killall cairo-dock 2> /tmp/tim1
killall cairo-dock-launcher-API-daemon 2> /tmp/tim2

gksu -u tim -S "bash -c 'cairo-dock -c 2>&1 | tee  /tmp/cairodoc.log '" &


12/19/2020 The other day I discovered this is inadequate and does not work in some circumstances. I did not document it when it occurred so it will have to wait until the next occurrence in order to put up a revision to address the deficiency. Sorry.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome!

MORE About Me...

My dad called me Timbocephus from time to time when I was growing up. He was a Hank Williams fan at some point I believe.

Of course everyone recognizes the "Timbo" nickname. But going deeper into mid 20th century popular culture we find that Hank famously stuck the "Bocephus" moniker on his young son Hank Jr. There are several suggested sources for the "Bocephus" and you can find those on line very readily if you google it. Having said that, I like this one Best: The mysterious appelation that became part of American folklore in middle of the last century: Biblical/Latin Etymology: Some trace it back to a neoclassical blend of Beau (French for beautiful) and Cephas (the Aramaic name given to the Apostle Peter, meaning "stone"). [1] (https://gardenandgun.com/ask-gg-garden-thievery-and-the-birth-of-bocephus)

Post about Psalms 46:1