Featured Post

My favorite links (ranked)

#1  Linux laptop powertuning painlessly (almost) #2 hard-drive-recovery #3 Chromebook Specifications #4 Internet BMW riders   #5 Findagra...

Friday, January 29, 2016

More remote UI tweaks

Yesterday I made a few additional tweaks for ergonomics of my openremote webconsole panels. Primarily was moving stuff around to make accidental key presses of roku reboot key and the main return of the roku remote control less likely to ever happen. These keys now have more white space around them. Important especially on my 7" nexus tablet which serves as my primary remote panel. Here are the affected screen shots below....


The reboot key now powers off the AVR which now powers both a switched fan and the roku power supply. It pauses for five seconds and then powers the AVR back on which in turn powers up the fan and the roku via an extension cord on the switch outlet on the back of the Sony AVR. Works like a charm.  I gave up on the infra-red reboot sequence as it was completely unreliable.  See earlier entry: http://timbocephus.blogspot.com/2015/12/rebooting-roku-made-easy.html 
My only regret is the final panels design, the cute little roku remote tag is partially obscured by the panel indicator (the four white/grey dots at the bottom that indicates which panel of the current set you are displaying). I should have made the black segment shorter to pull the tag up above the panel indicator dots. Alas there is a bug in the graphic file indexing of the open remote designer which renders the 112 buttons on the three greyed out panels randomized. Not sure what triggers it but when it happens the only cure is delete the panels and start over from empty panel templates which means laboriously reassigned all 112 button commands and graphics on those three panels. I've already been through this fire drill a couple times (or ten) and I think this is good enough for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome!