Featured Post

My favorite links (ranked)

#1  Linux laptop powertuning painlessly (almost) #2 hard-drive-recovery #3 Chromebook Specifications #4 Internet BMW riders   #5 Findagra...

Tuesday, March 20, 2018

This was bound to happen...

And then just like that ... took an update and blam... End of support notification from my "friends" at google.  I guess that means it is time to reflash my rom and install a real linux system on this still perfectly usable piece of hardware even though google apparently thinks I should just throw it in a landfill somewhere.

Here is a closeup of what corporate greed looks like...

Yes, don't mind if I do upgrade... to real linux that is.

PS: The deed is done! Thanks to this very helpful website and a short afternoon of work reflashing a new ROM and installing lubuntu 16.04 LTS...

https://mrchromebox.tech/#home

I even went UEFI boot and that was relatively painless too!

I will probably look into donating to mrchromebox when I get a bit more time.

The cure:
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/How+to+turn+HP+Pavilion++Chromebook+into+linux+laptop/104961


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome!