Featured Post

My favorite links (ranked)

#1  Linux laptop powertuning painlessly (almost) #2 hard-drive-recovery #3 Chromebook Specifications #4 Internet BMW riders   #5 Findagra...

Saturday, January 9, 2016

Got Roku Panel Working Again!

I've been struggling with the open remote web panel designer and my Global Cache Itach wf2ir software learning tools for a couple of weeks now with no positive results. Something caused my open remote based web panel for roku control to go completely dead in the last few weeks while I was trying to setup my new e43-c2 vizio tv. I've about concluded that either I or the roku itself or perhaps the itach device's learner or it's associated software was completely broken. Today I found some pages on using http to command the roku directly with network protocols here:


Scroll down to the "3.4 Valid Keys" section in above page.

So I wrote a three line simple shell script to allow sending the keys needed to the roku device without having to sweat learning any infrared sequences at all!

$ cat bin/rokuCurl.sh 
#/bin/sh
command="http://192.168.1.103:8060/keypress/"${1}
curl -d "" ${command}
$

I used the "Shell execution protocol" in the designer software (see screen shot below).

The big win here is that these networked commands work with much better speed than the networked itach device ever did trying to duplicate the native roku IR remote sequences. Heck it is better even than the native roku remote. Also plan on creating my own full alpha numeric keyboard entry panel(s) for this remote now.  I should be able to configure Roku channels with better speed than ever before in the future with my custom remote instead of the pathetic roku remote once this is accomplished.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome!